Shopping with Omar can be truamatizing. He never will let me hang around for hours in a mall. Part of me is thankful, the other part not so much. Not hanging too long around the mall saves me from buying too many things that I will regret later. But I still want to!We went to JCPenney specifically to get a suit. It took us ages to get out of the house. We once more Drano-ed our tub. Cleaned the house. Finally, sat in the car. Drove to the closest JCPenney which was 30 mins away. It seemed too long and I was surprised.
We only had an hour in the shops before they closed. Its a good thing I'm a fast decision maker. But I didn't have a lot of choices to work with. The Sears in this location was all messed up and disorganized. I hate Kohl's prices but we did have a look - I didn't see any suits there. I don't even think they do suits. So, I was looking for light gray suits. I couldn't find any lighter shades but I found a charcoal (woolish textured) one. It wasn't made of wool at all and could be used in the summer. It can also look good in winters which is why it made sense economically. The pants are very nice. What is not great is the coat. It's boxy and one buttoned and just makes no sense to me. I knew I will have to get it altered but still it looks like nothing can be done to make it look any better. Even the sleeves are so boxy looking. The picture that I'm posting is what my dream suit would have been like - its not the one I ended up buying. But the pants are very suitable. They are flattering.
So on Sunday we went to Forever21 on Michigan Ave. with Omar's sisters. I arrived late, for reasons I will share in another posting.

So, we are in a three storey, crazy-land full of plaid, floral, ruffs and puffs - and what happens to my husband after 2 hours? He develops a mild nervous breakdown. A couple of times he grabbed my hand and started taking me to the exit doors and I would say "No, no! I'm not done yet" and run off in the opposite direction. He finally stood outside the store and started sending me mean text messages. It was hilarious but I wasn't laughing at all back then.
For one thing, I couldn't find anythng that I liked. The prices were obnoxious. Secondly, I was looking for a scarf that would go with military green shirt dress. I found this silver one (minus the wool and cables) and that was it. By this time, operation meltdown was at its peak. It was leave or die moment. I left and then I came back to give the scarf to Aishah - please get this for me!!!! I promptly ran back out of the store.
We had to take Omar to Kenneth Cole and Nordstorm Men's to revive him from the Forever21 fiasco. There in the deep scents of cologne and leather, I think he felt a little better. He now wants to buy a 300 dollar, leather satchel. I wish I could get it for him since his birthday is just around the corner!
Meanwhile, I have a suit and a scarf that I'm not so sure about. The scarf is fun but a little too blingy/shiny. The suit you already know why.
I guess I should try on my stuff a few times before I decide to return it. I had to buy some gifts for visiting relatives which I wasn't able to do yesterday either. Argh!
2 comments:
hahah! i can just picture him texting and grubmling and 'having a nervous breakdown'! what a great way to reflect on a typical guy's behaviour just when you're getting down to the serious business of shopping! btw, is forever21 expensive in States? its the cheapest store in Dubai (and hence my favourite!) :S
forever21 is definitely cheap clothing in terms of both cost and material. but they have some fashionable stuff so they're like h&m in terms of throwaway pieces...just buy, wear a couple of times and give it away.
as for guy behavior...yeah Omar is my crazy guy. Shopping is hard with guys...but I love having his opinion on clothes. Not that I need it badly because I've always been an independent shopper. but because you know he's my husband and its fun to go out and look at things with him. Glad you laughed at the post.
Post a Comment