I just saw Chris Noth's "Abduction: A father's love." That guy will forever be remembered as the chocolate hero - he's always in these chick-flicks, stong-perfect-hero guy roles. Except for Law and Order...but he was pretty attractive in that series too.
Anyways, I enjoy sappy lifetime movies. I watch the WOman channel :).
So I bought my sister her mattress online. It was expensive but it was the cheapest one in the whole store - and it was only available online. Also, the only company that was delivering it the next day. This is what it looks like - the pic was sent by my sister. Its supposed to be a good mattress but she's complaining about backache after sleeping on it for one night. This gets me really ticked off...is that mattress no good?
Ok so moving on....lets talk about last night's dinner. I made Classic Baked Chicken, Baked Asparagus and Hot Dog & Egg Salad.
Let's start with the Salad. You take a boiled egg. Chop it up. Next chop some onion and tomatoes. Add some whole olives. Add Ranch Dressing. Mix everything up. Oh and I forgot, slice some hot dogs and mix that in too. Add some salt and pepper croutons. Add seasonings of black pepper. Add in some spinach leaves. There. All set!
Now the classic baked chicken is a classic in the sense that its sooooo simple! All you need is olive oil and salt&pepper rubbed into a few chicken pieces (I used 6 last night - around 1 pound which is enough for 2 people). So I didn't have olive oil, so I used a butter instead. Butter, as you guys know, is much more healthier than margarine and all other oils. Of course that doesn't mean that you dumb a cup of butter in your food. Keep the oils and salt to a minimum for health.Ok so now you put in your prepared chicken in a greased pan - pop it in the oven at 400 degrees. After 30 mins, flip the chicken and lower the heat to 350 degrees. You should have also put in your aspargus in as well. You will also need to butter/olive oil your asparagus and season them. Oil is needed to prevent the veggies from burning up. I prefer putting in the Asparagus for 45 mins rather than 30 mins ( which is the mistake I made last night).
Another thing I wish to do not repeat next time is the absence of broth. The chicken after an hour is dryish. This is overall not bad at all (plus I wanted to see what would happen if I did it the 'gora' way). The chicken is okay. But us being desis means we need a good kick in our mouths for us to get excited. Lemon and broth helps. It helps makes it more juicy - makes a little bit of yummy sauce. Also spices like red pepper and lemon pepper can also bring it up a notch.

I used mashed potatoes (instant I admit) but you can also use white rice if you like. The pic I'm posting is how it looked like but I used mashed potatoes instead of the rice. Both are equally good.
The idea is to keep the white carbs to a minimum as possible. Greens and meat are healthy. What is excess is white bread, rice, potatoes, cookies. Although I still let myself have cookies so that I don't have go nuts one day. Bottom line to what I'm saying is that we don't need carbs. They just fill you up and then you can't eat the stuff that gives you all the other important vitamins.
A few words about the vegetables. Asparagus is one of the most elegant vegetables I've ever come across. It makes a normal dish go to a really special looking dish. They're wonderful decorative food. Very pretty.
2 comments:
i love the last line; and you are right - they are very pretty :) btw, are you taking these pcitures yourself?
but i do have to differ on one point - carbs are really important - u must have at least enough to count for 30% of your nutritional intake...just go for the wholemeal / brown variety :)
No....I find most of the pics on the internet. The mattress that you see is actually has been taken by my sister...she sent it to me in an email.
I agree about the 30 percent intake. Unfortunately most of us take it 80 percent in the form of white bread, white rice, pasteries, and potatoes. So I guess you need to watch how much it lands on your plate. That is in fact why I mentioned that it should be like one-third of the meal instead of half of the meal. Veggies, grains and meat should be the rest.
Post a Comment