Monday, August 10, 2009

I love Veggie Burgers!


On Friday, I made beautiful, yummy, fantastic veggie burgers. There are so many reasons why they are so great. First of all, they taste great! I found a couple of more ways to increase the taste factor too. Secondly, they are handy, fast food when you have no meat around and you are craving for meat! Thirdly, they are healthy. Fourth, did I mention how fast you can make them?

Veg Burgers are Gourmet burgers - thats what I like to call them.

Here's how you make them. Sautee chopped onions (1) with garlic (2 cloves) in a frying pan. When softented add green onions (chopped) or any other types of greens (but no need to add things like peas - add parley or spinach if you like). Add some mushrooms and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Ok make sure its all cooked especially the mushrooms. Actually you only need to cook for 5 mins when the mushrooms are done.

Ok great! Next step. Grab some pinto beans (red, black or any type of beans are fine too). Just make sure they were cooked before hand, or that they are in a can - because if you start cooking them now you'll starve for sure! Take a cup of the beans, mash or food process them - make a paste out of them. Fold in some parsely and seasonings (use salt and pepper) for taste. Now add your mushroom/onion/greens concoction. Mix it all in into a paste. Wallah! All done.

Now take some of the mixture. Fold in a patty shape and put it on the pan with 2 teaspoons of oil. Olive oil is healthier so you should be using that. The patty is cooked on one side for 3 mins each. Its not the type of patty you want to flip around more than once because its going to break. Unless you can put enough beans to really glue it all in - but I doubt it. So 3 mins each side, and Wallah. You Are Done! Isn't that wonderful.

The rest you know. Toast the buns on a pan, put on some mayo, ketchup and mustard. Put in some lettuce and slices of tomatoes. Additional taste boosters are if you put barbeque sauce and cheese too! Put in your veggie patty. Close the top on. You Are Done!

Now enjoy and eat. Yum Yum.

I had also baked potatoes and carrots with the meal. I baked some fresh peaches too. I made a mistake of adding lemon with sugar on top of the peaches. That was a bad idea. They became too tangy to eat on their own. I will use them now in a salad instead.



No comments: