I got some good things done this weekend. Let me list them (regular readers must realize that this blogger has a thing for lists :) ) :
1) Got groceries done
2) Met up with some friends
3) Found a restaurant in downtown with a really glamorous view
4) Made some dinners for the week.
5) Organized some packed lunches for the week (don't even ask me what a big deal getting that done is).
6) Put away all of the laundry.
7) Caught up with this season's desperate housewives. I'm just not into DH anymore. They have really very few moments far and in between that are entertaining and that give me a chuckle. After like 12 episodes, the season has now begun to pick up. The mystery family in this season is kind of weird. The son chokes Julie in the 2nd episode (he likes her), and then the father chokes/kills a waitress (he likes/flirts with her too). I'm like what is up with this family?
8) I finished the 'The Book Group' season 2. Unfortunately, there are no more seasons but the episodes were hilarious till the end. The situations revolved heavily around sex but the characters were very memorable. I really enjoyed it and this is one of Anne Dudek's finest work. And she's in so many hit shows (Mad Men, Big Love, House).
9) What else? Did some home cleaning.
10) I broke a glass dish lid - so that was quite sad.
11) I darned 3 socks and a shirt. Did I ever mention I have a darning bag? Its full of clothes we've ripped and socks with holes in them. Every once in a while, I pick a weekend evening to watch tv, relax and darn. I take out my sewing kit and darning bag and I slowly darn....and I mostly just listen to the TV. Its the most relaxing thing for me to do. This is usually done at a time where I'm not cooking because usually TV watching is normally accompanied by a) running to kitchen every now and then to check on the food OR b) lying in a slump on the couch and just going in a hypnotic state watching television. The latter usually occurs after work if there is food in the fridge.
Darning is very pleasurable because you can solve a really big problem in a relatively easy way. Darning enables you to make the unwearable, wearable again. In an age in which we no longer use our hands to make much, darning gives you the illusion that you 'made' something...or rather 'did' something...with your hands! You fixed this sock! You made this ripped t-shirt look like it never had rips (because the rips were under the armpits and unless somebody raises their arms - no one will ever notice the seams). You made this embarressing hole in your 'jammies go away - and thus made the 'jammies a respectable part of society once again (although you should only try to wear your pajamas at the superstore if you have a grocery emergency).If you don't darn, you should try it. I see on the internet that there are cool techniques to darn - I say forget that and just hold the holes you need to close with your fingers and just do a plain running stitch through them. Tie a knot in the end and just snip the thread. 5 minutes of concentration and time will leave you feeling very nice about yourself. You'll also get the feeling that 'Look grandma did this, and so can I!"
Happy Darning!
No comments:
Post a Comment