Thursday, March 25, 2010

Can't wait anymore!

I have such EXCITING news that I just cannot wait to share with you all.

I have done the most CRAZY thing in the world!

I did it 2 days ago.

And I'm still not over the adrelanaine rush.

No, I did not cut off more hair.

I have registered myself for the 14th Annual Chicago Half Marathon Run!!!!!! Isn't that crazy? I know its crazy but oh my gosh, I'm SO EXCITED to have done this because I really thought I could never do it but it looked so fun and exciting.

I finally went into some information sessions. I wanted to do this so badly but I didn't think I would be able to pull it off. You see, I'm not a professional runner, and I never did or do running on a regular basis (except when I run after buses). But after running after SO many Metras, buses and EL trains in the past 3 years that I felt my legs were always whispering to me "Bhago, bhago phudda honay wala hai". Meaning, girl you should run more.

The race will take place in September on the beautiful Lakeshore Drive in Downtown Chicago - and I can hardly wait to start training.


I know one of my best friends' did run a Marathon in London. Or was it the 5K? Either way she's on my list for getting advice. Also, I'm lucky to have cousin who is runner and has ran marathons. She's definitely going to be go-to person for buying running equipment.

There's another piece of news. I'm not just running to run. I'm running to raise money for a very important cause: Prevention and Care programs for AIDS.


Indeed. When I run, I'll be running to raise money for these programs that cater to people with AIDS, Research centers that are trying to find a cure for AIDS, and for important school and hospital programs that work on preventing AIDS in children. I hope that readers of this blog will help pass around the word when I start fundraising.




Just pray I don't slip on a sponsor logo and bang my head like this runner did in 2006:



The organizer has the audacity to blame the whole slip on the runner's exhaustion. Their smooth, vinyl logos on the finish line apparently had nothing to do with the slip.

8 comments:

Fruitful Fusion said...

So brave of you to sign up! Well done! I hope it goes well.

mao said...

@Fusion - Thank you! I'm so thrilled that I'm going to do the nearly impossible. Just pray that I complete on time and meet my fundraising goal!

Inshallah.

CN said...

You can do this and be among the most prepared and joyful as yu are now!!! Thanx so much for sharing this with all of us!!!

Keep coming back to give reports!

All the VERY best...even taking on such a challenge is a BIG boost for your strongest self and future and encourages me to continue a goal I started as well.

Shukriya...

And I LOVE the music here.

Myree said...

This is amazing molly!!! good job! Best of luck baby! i wanna take up this trekking challenge in kilimanjaro but the catch is that i need to raise 20k before that! so double minded about it!

btw - that was such a painful video to watch! ughhh!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It seems exciting, thrilling and challenging too.

To me, its not crazy at all.. Its all about Being Yourself!!

Good luck.. You can DO IT! :)

I love your blogsite. It really means 'Mere Dost'

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

Good luck for the marathon.

mao said...

@Connie -You're welcome! I'm very joyful although totally unprepared. Pray for me please!

@Myree - thanks, jaan! Wow, Kilminjaro. Awesome.

@Komal - Thanks for liking the blog. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (your compliment I mean). :)

@Abdu - Thanks for the support!

@Everybody - I'm so excited that you're excited! Muah Muah! Me so happy! Although I can only run 2 blocks before breaking down...but I am excited to try to do better. Will give everyone updates soon when training begins.

elizabeth said...

congrats...its one of my goals to run a 10k this year (have done several but it was years ago) You have given me the push I have needed..I actually just was googling looking for a race here in BA. Look forward to hearing about your training etc...