Monday, December 14, 2009

Keith Ellison at IMAN Fundraiser

I attended IMAN's fundraiser on Sunday afternoon because of my quest for Muslim-content related writers.

The event started as these Muslim Fundraisers usually do (at least the ones that I'm used to). I loved the Strawberry Salad. They had a really funny person from the 'Allah Made Me Funny' Comedy troupe, who's standup I admit I enjoyed. I don't have the guy's name on top of my head otherwise I would have posted his link and you could go see his stuff.

Oh wait, I took a 2 min detour and found the guy. Mo Amer. Nice dude. He showed us clips from his electoral campaign for running mayor for Palestine, Texas. He is REALLY good.

So, Mo Amer, with another prominent lady (whose name I forget) were the EMCEES. They did an okay job.

Most of the program was so and so. I have to admit Rami (IMAN's President) could use some speech lessons. Although his speech's content was compelling - he spoke in such a monotone that it seriously leaked all that passionate steam.

Anyways, who I really wanted to talk about was Keith Ellison. I think he's the only Muslim Congressman in USA. He was awesome. He spoke so well and really kept the crowd noticeably distracted from their dessert. He made excellent points about the need to champion IMAN's work with incarcerated felons. I wish I had met him afterwards the event but the line to meet him was too long and I didn't have anything to say to him so I skipped out. After I talked to the people I needed to speak at the event.

Well, this post is kind of dedicated to Keith Ellison. I enjoyed hearing an American-Muslim Politician. Good work, Keith!

No comments: