Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Loop

Keeping in touch with my promise to blog a line everyday, I'm back here again. This blog will truly be a touch and go since I have to do a lot today and feel kind of rushed.

A friend of mine emailed me about the 'Happiness Project' that I'm adopting. Sounds weird, doesn't it i.e. Happiness Project? People assume happiness comes naturally, that we are entitled to happiness. Its simply not true. Well, that's what a lot of research says. Happiness is a habitual attitude - it comes with practice. And practice is hard work.

Here's what I wrote back to her:
"..As for the happiness project - I'm not really carving out a formal project (I'm resisting because it sounds so cliche!) but there are many, many, many great tips and common sense steps the book gives. I was arriving to many of the tips on my own. For example - exercise regularly and frequently. This is common sense. Exercise releases endorphins. Makes you overall positive. Makes you more happy because you feel less bored and less worried about your health/weight. No brainer, right?

I started running anyways at the start of June. I was tired of being tired all the time. Tired of waiting for my commute to improve so I could 'do stuff'. I dived into it and surprisingly kept challenging myself to do it every weekday. Instead of focusing on losing pounds (which I am) I focused on going to say 'hi' to Lake Michigan everyday. I live in downtown now - a neighborhood called South Loop. The lake is a 7-10 minute slow-walk from my house. Everyday, I run around Burnham Harbor and Shedd Aquarium. I'm so lucky to see a breathtaking view of the Chicago skyline, the Navy Pier, boats, sailboats, ferrys, and the museums. Our short summers here are real incentive for me to 'live up today'. By November, its going to become uncomfortable walking near the lake. The lovely breezes today are going to become icy, monstrous slaps threatening us with frostbite!"

Here's a pic of the lake from Sears/Willis towers that I took on July 4th weekend:
There is a great quote that the author uses over and over again in this happiness book: "The days are long and the years are short." Its so true. My friend talked about it being 5 years since we all graduated from one college dorm. Some of us have babies, husbands, and thriving careers. Others have traveled all over the world in Europe, Egypt and the Middle East - completely on their own (aka sisterhood of the travelling pants? :)). Isn't that amazing - in just 5 short years? Where did the time go?

Time does go fast. So, I guess you need to make the most of every minute you have.

2 comments:

Thinking said...

hmm....nice to see you....regular...

mao said...

Thanks :)