Friday, January 29, 2010

Playing Adults

Although I know I am a adult, I don't know when it exactly happened. I do more goofy things than I ever did in my teens (Okay, I lie, I was goofy back then too).

My husband shares this goofiness with me, and it normally takes a few quarters of a second for us to drop off from our evolved, mid-twenties human selves to a bunch of prancing monkeys. Or a drop of a hat. Whichever is faster.

I digress. You see, I don't really know when our mid-twenties, confirmed 'adult' status reached us. I, personally, spent most of my childhood and teenage years constantly asserting my independence and maturity (*I said asserting, not proving).

Now that I can't really be called a non-adult by any farthest figment of my own imagination, I really just want to close my eyes and be a kid again. Ugh.

Last night, after a semi-rough week, my husband and I crawled under the bedcovers. It was your classic case of hiding from one's problems. We giggled like a bunch of 8 year olds (very tall and good-looking 8 year olds, let me just add), and alternatively pretended everything was going to be okay. The light through the blanket was blue-green, so I pretended we were in Avatar and we were the Navi except I forgot their goddesses' name so those theatrics ended fast. I don't know if it helped. Some good ideas discussed during this time:

1) Running away to Hawaii
2) Running away and hiding in woods
3) Bashing the brains out of our insurance claims adjuster
4) Filing a complaint with our insurance agency that our claims adjuster didn't have any manners
5) Buying a new car
6) Burying our old car
7) Resurrecting our old car from the dead through voodoo magic
8) Stealing my sister-in-law's car
9) Shedding some tears for the sudden demise of a car that my husband never got around to naming ("I thought I still had time" - alternatively "I want my car back" *sob *sob)
10)Trying to remember the name of the Navi Goddess

Sigh. Oy Vey.

6 comments:

Ayza Omar said...

I metaphorically fell off the couch laughing. The couch is too big to fall off of literally. But if the thought process of the things discussed under the covers was really in the order stated, I will fall off again. Please say yes! *Gets ready to launch off sofa*

Unknown said...

Too good!!! Yeah it bugs us too, when and why did we become adults. I hate the responsibility and all the the shit you have to worry about. I want to become a kid again - maybe back at uni that wasn't bad being smwhere in b/w a kid and an adult!!
Did smth really bad happen with the car??

Abdullah Tariq said...

Lol! Must have been fun. n_n

I'm still a kid. n_n

mao said...

Very little fun in having a dead car.

Abdullah Tariq said...

You can pretend it's working. You know, just sit in there and swear at people outside.

mao said...

tee heee...thats an idea.