When Atif Aslam first came around, we just heard he was a brat who broke up his band and started a copyrights war on a hilarious, ridiculous and unprecedented scale in Pakistan's music history. My cousin was a hired (fill-in) guitarist for him for a bit - these guys were nothing but a bunch of kids playing in their parent's garages - and my cousin pretty much confirmed the whole drama conflict he had going with Gohar. Just crazy!Pretty soon everyone was in love with Atif's first great song - I know we were during our Rakaposhi trip in college. Greatest memories ever! Still....Atif the bratty kid was considered a one-hit wonder...at least by me...
Almost 1-2 years later, I was chaperoning my younger sister and around 10 other fourteen-year old girls to an all-girls Atif Aslam concert. Needless to say the effect Atif had on my younger sister and her friends was duly unappreciated by me. The concert was chaotic and wild - what a life for these guy musicians - a thousand teenage girls going nuts for their phati hui awaaz!!! ok I'm just being bitter now but seriously...these guys probably died and went to heaven a while back.
Fast Forward to 2007...what do I discover? My husband loves Atif Aslam! By that time, Atif proved he wasn't so bad...3-4 great albums. I missed home badly... and *sigh* Atif, the bratty kid gave a huge concert in Chicago...well I was there with my husband screaming the house down!!!! LOL.
The last two songs are, of course, Noori. Noori was our generation of freshman year music. We were all nuts - it all felt so revolutionary, so special, so much hope, excitement about what the future held for us. I get that rush of happiness and excitement everytime I hear their songs again. Manwa Rae was a especially a favorite that I actually knew all the words to. This my favorite part:

apna har dard chupa ke
naach aur sab ko nacha ke
mukh pe ghungat daale
aaj koi chala hai sajj ke
piya nagarya rae
Manwa Rae*Chorus

raet ka mahal banaya
hath teray kuch nahin aya
chuutt mere dil ki ujri
aas ka diya bujhaya
bicharya de de ke
pyaar sab se le ke
aaj koi chala hai sajj ke
piya nagaraye rae
yeh bandhan .. na dey...saarey tor ke ... manwa rae
I'm sure I've made mistakes....but it goes something like that.....the ironic thing is that I now know someone in Chicago who is first cousins to the Noori brothers... :)...I hope when I next visit home, maybe he can introduce me to them...and I can gush over them quite needlessly...much to the chagrin of my husband....LOL. Ah, well I can dream, can't I? LOL
2 comments:
Wow. I write such a nice long post and nobody comments. I've come to the conclusion that people only like depressed, sad writing and people on the internet. *heart breaks*
Comment, dammit!
Ok I'll comment *finally* just being lazy, sorry!
You reminded me of the rakaposhi trip and all the singing we tried(it was the best even our fights - if only we had gone again the next summer). Ahhh Noori, Manwa Re brings back so many freshman year memories! In the dorm atleast one of our rooms would have this music going on. I am soo badd with music now (uff I feel old and boring). Just can't be bothered anymore - I just listen to Coke Studio stuff ocassionally, when K listens to them.
Post a Comment