Monday, June 28, 2010

Pack, Move...now Unpack!

Yeh Kiya Mazaaaaaaakkkkk hai yaar? Now I have to unpack too?

We moved.

Khariat se.

The movers were great! They were 20 minutes early, the owner was a Pakistani guy named Amir, and he spoke in Urdu with my husband. He didn't say much to me, and didn't share any urdu conversation with me. I was dissappointed. Mh thinks it might be because I was dressed inappropriately. My shirt was tight and it had cap sleeves (skank, anyone? look, it was hot okay!).

The guys doing the moving were great. They had a great attitude and had loads of jokes to make about how hot our house was. We gave them soda in the hope that if they liked us enough, they wouldn't throw around our furniture in the truck. I think it worked.

We had one small disaster. Our old apartment doors are from the 1930s. or 1940s. They're narrow. Our small sofas had a huge problem coming in (3 years ago) and a huge problem getting out (yesterday). One of them eventually got 4 tiny tears in the fabric because of the pushing and shoving.

The movers gave us a discount, and they'll be sending someone later to see what they can do to fix it - but a tear is a tear. It's not going to look the same again. But we don't blame the movers...they did everything in their power to not damage anything.

So, we emptied our old apartment. Its forlorn-looking and dirty. I have already been to it once to pick up more stuff...and I'm going again tonight...to clean up. Everytime I go I do feel sad. I know its stupid. But I do. I don't like moving. I'm a 'live in this house till I die' kind of person. I felt many of the same feelings I felt when I moved from Lahore to Chicago. Irrational sadness and fear. Even though I've moved only a few miles away this time.

I cried last night about leaving our old apartment. Its really so stupid. I didn't have a dishwasher or laundry unit there - it wasn't the greatest convenience. But we had beautiful trees in front of our windows, a park where kids played all summer long, my Indian and Pakistani girlfriends who worked in the Dunkin Donuts around the corner, and my Iraqi hairdresser across the street who kept telling me to have a baby before mh has an affair with a white american co-worker.

Everyday, coming home, I used to pass the park, and my trees, who I felt I had a relationship with. I felt their aliveness and I felt that connection you have with friends. They were great friends. Tall, beautiful and strong. In the winter, I felt they were 'away' in sleep, but they would be back. And now, I've moved away. They won't miss me, but I will miss them. A lot.

4 comments:

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

MD:"and my Iraqi hairdresser across the street who kept telling me to have a baby before mh has an affair with a white american co-worker."

Ha! That cracked me up.

Meher said...

You know,we'll be shifting base in 2 months,and my mum has already started brooding about leaving this house.
attachment*.
hope you grow to love your new house as well.cheers.

Unknown said...

The iraqi hair dresser comment is just too funny!!!

Hope the unpacking is going well? Once that finishes you'll start wanting to shop arnd for new stuff for the new place if there's room etc. (at least I did)

Yesss the 1st place you live in as a couple always has a special place in your heart - I think. We still drive by our old apartment (thats a few streets away) sometimes just to see it :P
And then you typically have a bond with the place you live in for a while, hey I even miss F1!

Thinking said...

well...I did alot of shifting due to my fathers posting one place to other and knows exactly what you are going through...

I know you going to miss your old place and trees...but look at the bright side...

You have all new things around you...how wonderful it may strike like we are suddenly landed somewhere and will start all over again....

I think it is good too...

hmm..anyways...happy shifting...you did...now happy settling in...enjoy !