My grandmother used to tell me that at the time when she educated her 11 kids, it seemed like a big deal. All her boys went to professional schools or the navy. Her five daughters were all BA (Bachelor/undergraduate) graduates, even the dumb ones (lol) managed to pass their exams.
Fast forward to the 1990s, when my older cousins were enrolling in post-graduate master degrees (especially the girls), my grandmother was like "these days the BA doesn't seem much but when I was raising my kids, it was a huge deal." I bet when she was in her school years it must seem like you did your PhD if you had a BA. Reading Tagore's short stories from 1880's Bengal, it does seem like that. :)
This BA topic came in my mind when I saw someone Facebook upload this cute song made in the 1950s where the heroine tells the hero:
"don't even dare look at me unless you're 'BA passed'" (vernacular for having a bachelors degree)
and the hero says back to her:
"I may not be 'BA passed' but I do have an MA in love"
Cute.
Its a common thing in our culture to tell our boys: "If you don't study, which girl will marry you? You'll be single forever!"
LOl. Dangle a pretty girl in front of your son to get him to study. :D
5 comments:
ahaah...thats pretty funny...
Actually...not even old times...even nowadays literate BANDA has more advantage than his reverse...
Anyhow...I remembered one song of Indian Hero...Govinda...which my family palyed alot during my merriage...
"Ek larki chahyea khaas khaas...jo ho BA pass pass..."
Though all of them knew I have'nt even completed my Intermediate...
anyways...good post.
ahh :) but BA passed ko hi emphasize kyu karte the...earlier this used to be the highest degree ...
Good one, loved the title!
The education thing still applies (and prob alays will apply) in our part of the world cuz people can hardly manage a decent wage without a uni degree. Doesn't seem the case here in Australia cuz of how much cleaners, mechanics etc earn (compared to typical desk job people).
This was a good post. Enjoyed it very much.
@Thinking - thanks for liking the post. Yeah, I remember that song..its funny too.
@Solitary - I know.
@Summz - lol!!! I think its a class thing, maybe.
@Abdu - Thanks. :D
Post a Comment