Thursday, April 1, 2010

I'm on a horse

Another Ad I couldn't resist posting. This was aired during the superbowl and is a mega hit during Superbowl, on viral marketing, the PR circuit and also on television even uptil now. It's copy is so good that I'm sure it sounds delicious on radio too.

Here are the great 2 things you should know about this ad (besides the yummy eye-candy and yummylicious smart copy):

1) This is the first time in the history you have seen such a complicated sequence of events be shot for a commercial in ONE SHOT. yup look at it carefully and then do several google searches on the ad - and the creator's interviews come up.

2) This is the first time that a male-oriented product (deodrant) has been advertised to a female audience. When I first saw it my jaw dropped, eyes squinted and I couldnt' understand it....did old spice start making women's deodrants....because the chocolate muffin was speaking to me.....a woman....what was going on here? I rewinded and replayed it several times and then just roared out laughing. Later on, reading up on it, I found out that CMO of the company was using a lot of interesting data showing that it was actually women that made most personal care product purchasing decisions in all households - wives and girlfriends. Like literally they were the ones picking out what they're men were wearing. I found this news because I don't shop for my husband's personal care products (shaving cream, deodrants etc). But then I got thinking...that if we were a family of four and we shopped at wal mart or costcos and we picked things up in bulk - guess who would be in charge. Well, I would right (housewife/mother/wife). Like gazillion other things, they pick up male personal care products on these mega shopping trips. Of course the data doesn't apply to people like myself and my husband because we have more time than average couples with kids - and we get our own products.

But if my husband didn't already use old spice - I WOULD walk to the store and get it for him RIGHT now. Take a look at this ad:



In case you are wondering who the guy is, its this somewhat not-so-great NFL player who turned into an actor. He's cute but what is really hot about this ad is frankly, the copy. The copy is GENIUS.

Hello Ladies,
Look at your man.
Now back to me.
Now back at your man.
NOW back to ME.
Sadly, he's not me.
But he could be like me.
If he stopped using lady-scented body washes and switched to Old Spice he might start smelling like me.
...........
Look down.
Back up.
Where are you?
You're on a boat, with a man, your man could smell like.
............
What's in your hand?
Back up.
I have. Its an oyester with two tickets to that thing you love.
Look again.
The tickets are NOW diamonds.
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice, and not a lady.

I'm on a horse.


;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting ad!! And also interesting theory behind why its targetting women.
Though I'm not convinced with the ad myself :P didn't hey sort of get carried away too much?

Thinking said...

hmm...this means that I have to buy this thing to my man....?

Well....

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

Hilarious ad!

I'd buy Old spice body wash just to see if i could get on a horse.

Oh and I would do it too. You don't know how many Axe body deodorants I've bought just to get that Axe effect they talk about in their ads. However, my findings have been inconclusive. Axe doesn't seem to work on all men. LOL!

mao said...

@summz - its not a theory, its a fact. Thats what the chief marketing officer of Old Spice products told the press.

As for them getting carried away - yes, they did! But it appealed to me...and lots of other people in the US. That's what I'm reading in the papers anyways.

@thinking - you don't have to do anything. It's just me talking about an ad I found cool.

@Abdu - hainaa????!!!! I loved it toooo! But see the difference between this and the usual suspects like axe body deodrants, is that this commercial is talking more to the women than the men. The axe body ads were only directed towards the fantasy men have in their minds.

Old Spice directs the ad in the fantasy women have in their minds: "Look at my hand....its an oyester...of two tickets to that thing you love....the tickets are now diamonds....."

lol.
:D