Monday, May 17, 2010

Welcome to New York


These streets will inspire you...they will excite you....welcome to New York...New York....

Lol.

Mh and I are in New York on what we thought was going to be my sister's graduation - well at least one of her two ceremonies. Turned out that the Monday she thought had one ceremony turned out to be on Tuesday. So we are here on the weekend and a Monday and we'll leave in a few hours without having attended the graduation. Ahhhh...it is what it is.

Well, we decided that we would make most of the time no matter what....so when my cousin came over on saturday, we went out. We had a topsy turvy tour of harlem, hudson river, a pier, wall street, Tribeca, Midtown, Curry Corner, and Times Square.

Then on Sunday night, mh and I stood 3 hours in a line to catch a free show of the Upright Citizen's Brigade. I think we are so turning into comedy snobs.

My first impressions of New York:
1) kind of crazy but not necessarily in a bad way.
2) its a city to live in not to visit
3) manhattan is small and easy to cover in literally 2 days.
4) overall not bad. not sure if I would want to live here.....would like to maybe live in Brooklyn and Queens with lower rents and take the train here.
5) not bad in terms of things to do

there you have my vague post on my trip to NYC. I thought I would make a huge hallabaloo about it before and during my trip. I was so busy I didn't get a chance to write about it at all.

Some interesting things that happened:
1) we had to bring our bedding from Chicago....to sleep on the floors here.
2) we thought the living expenses here were worse than Chicago, turned out they were the pretty much the same.
3) halal carts are divine! We are really missing out in this respect in Chicago.
4) we were the last ones to get free tickets and confirmed seats in a line of 133 people.....whew!
5) we were treated to a surprise guest on UCB, Donald Glover from Community...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Glover

mh didn't know who he was because he doesn't watch that show...

its been fun!

6 comments:

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

Is Donald Glover funny as a stand-up? I ask because he's not that funny on the show?

Speaking of funny characters on the show, I believe, Senor Chang is the funniest of them all. He was absolutely hilarious in the last episode on playing dart guns. I must have seen the last bit from the episode when he enters the study room wearing a suit and a dart gun in his hands like a dozen times. And every time it was funny.

Abdusalaam al-Hindi said...

Correction on my previous comment. I meant to say "paint-ball" guns. I don't know why I said dart guns.

mao said...

@Abdul: LOL> So TRUE! He is NOT that funny on the show...but I guess as a group they all make the show funny...not The Office type funny...but they could get there...maybe

Ok, so get this - the guy is SO FUNNY in improv. He was like AWESOME...I didnt expect him to participate that much but he did! I think his roots are in improv maybe thats why he's so good. I just read today that he's also in Death at a Funeral...so I'm so excited to go watch that.

If you are ever in new york city...do not miss checking out Upright Citizen's Brigade...they often have celebrity appearances. The place is so packed its like a fire hazard!

Pesto Sauce said...

NYC is one place I would surely like to visit someday...in this lifetime only!! The city sure has a character

Unknown said...

I want to visit nyc too smday!!!
Nice post, you summarized it all nicely! I wonder how melbourne's rents compare to nyc, chicago etc. This are pretty much of a rip-off here if you want to live near the city :S

mao said...

@Pesto - it an interesting city. butttt.....I don't know....sometimes the build-up is more larger than life. But if you like crazy metropolis life, then this is where you need to visit.

@summz - we should compare notes!