Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Okay I'm back.

No, really I am.

This blog keeps me sane. and the past few weeks have bordered on the insane.

You know the Pakistan floods in August. Well, its awful for us sitting out of the country. We go about our business, but live in constant guilt. Modern civilization coerces us to pick teams, and we picked team Pakistan on the nationality category, and boy, does it drag us down. We go blue telling people how much we care about Pakistan and what a great place it is to live in. Except for the bombs. And the floods. And the breakdown of law and order. and then of course the out of control, unethical media.

Anyways, what was I saying? Yes, floods. Gut wrenching Pakistani floods. Well, it was killing me to live my daily life and do nothing for the floods (oh, I contributed money towards the relief, but really what can my piddly contribution do, right?).

So I decided to help out in a fundraiser in Chicago. It went well. Got into a few verbal fistfights with Pakistani ex-pats here (aren't we all just so charming and 'united'?). Kher, I digress....yes, yes the fundraiser was great in the end but it took the life out of me. It took over my weekends, and spare time and even my sleep. I feel glad I got out of it alive.

I think because of the drama within the organizing committee, I don't feel too very proud of all the hard work and hours I put into the event. Even more so, I'm vowing to stay our of all fundraising/volunteering gigs until I am thirty-five. That's really sad because I do have volunteering addiction.....

What else is new? The weather is miserable and is making me cry. No, no no its making me numb with misery. Some days I would just like to sleep until May...when it starts to get warmer.

Another thing that is really traumatic is following all of these Pakistani twitter people. Everyday when I wake up, 50 percent of all tweets are about bomb blasts in Pakistan. I know, I know, it shouldn't bother me - but of course it bothers you. It makes you sad. It makes you really sad so early in the morning. and you feel like crying at work.

Okay - thanks for missing me everybody. I missed everyone too.

1 comment:

Thinking said...

hmm....so nice to read you again.

Sorry for my repeated sentence...it shows how much I am words taken by your showing up out of no where...

Well....good to read about your constructive work....

Hey...what ever happens in Pakistan or whatever our super Cricket Team do abroad...

Doesn't below exclamation always boil your blood...

PAKISTAN.....ZINDABAAD.....!

Yeah it sure do.